Thursday, June 8, 2017

Mexican Mule


I tried a Moscow Mule a couple of years ago on a super hot day in a hip little restaurant in Monrovia called Sena, which by the way has some A-MA-ZING street tacos and lobster grilled cheese, and salads....well everything is delicious.

So the Moscow Mule is super refreshing, but I have now found an excellent replacement. The Mexican Mule from Casa Marcela Cookbook. I've made it several times, in the short month that I've owned the cookbook and will now become a staple for entertaining in my home.

For those days when this super cute hat makes it out of my closet, a Mexican Mule is the perfect solution.



So here is Chef Marcela's recipe:

Serves 4 (but in my home it serves 2)

1/2 fresh serrano chile, stemmed (I used jalapeno)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves, plus more for garnish
1/2 cup tequila blanco
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
1 (12 ounce) bottle ginger beer, chilled

Combine the chile, sugar, water and mint in a small, heavy pot. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool completely. Once the simple syrup is cooled, discard the serrano.

In a large pitcher, combine the tequila, lime juice, and cooled simple syrup. Stir to combine.

The recipes says to fill four glasses with ice cubes. But honestly, I can only get two of the mule copper cups filled with these measurements. Divide tequila mixture among them. Top with the ginger beer and garnish with the mint leaves. Serve immediately.

You'll need to make sure you serve them in copper mugs as they will keep your drink cold longer.

For more delicious Chef Marcela recipes, checkout her new cookbook:

Casa Marcela


1 comment: