Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Mexican Street Style Corn / Elotes Estilo Mexico



Many memories of the years we lived in Mexico City, included long walks through the city. We walked to school, we walked to church, to the market, to the outdoor bazaar, to grandma's, etc. And when you walk the streets of Mexico City, naturally, you will come across many a street vendor selling paletas (ice cream bars), tacos, frutas (fruit), mini pancakes and elotes (corn). 


My brother, sister and I planned a "Seafood Grilling and Poker" day at mom's for Memorial Day weekend. I know kinda random, but who doesn't love a themed get together?? Adds an extra layer of fun. I picked up corn to grill and serve along with our salmon and shrimp kabobs, and somewhere between the grocery store and mom's, I started craving Mexican street style corn...the type we bought on the street during our many walks through the city.

So what is Mexican Street Style Corn you ask?? It's grilled corn, smothered in mayo, rolled in Mexican cheese and sprinkled with chili. I know this may not sound enticing, but trust me, it is SO good.

So this is what you do...


INGREDIENTS

Corn on the cob
Mayo
Cotija Cheese, shredded
Tajin Fruit and Snack Seasoning - this stuff is good!!


Peel the husks off the corn. Just pull from the open end down to the stump. I even pull the little stump off entirely.



Wrap them in foil. I place the corn right in the middle of a squared piece of foil. Then I fold the foil in half, to meet the long edges together. I fold the sides in tightly. The top I fold in such a way that it leaves a little handle.





Place the foil wrapped corn on the grill. We always place our corn on the top rack of the grill so they're cooking at the same time as the meat.




Grill for about 20 minutes, then check them. When they're getting a little browned and charred, they're ready. You may need to bring them down to the grill grates if it's taking too long.



Then cover in mayo with a spreader or knife. You can do a thick spread or just a thin layer based on your own liking. Then roll in shredded queso cotija, and sprinkle with Tajin.



A NOTE ABOUT TAJIN...this stuff is so yummy! It's a Mexican seasoning powder consisting of chili peppers, salt and dehydrated lime juice. I add it to my fruit and veggies for a little extra kick. It's not hot...no really. I realize my Mexican taste buds have a higher tolerance for spicy food, but I honestly would consider this to be on the mild side, especially when you only use it sparingly.


                                                       

My elotes estilo Mexico hit the spot on this beautiful Memorial Day weekend. And a friendly game of poker was super fun with the family.

Have you tried Mexican Street Style Corn? I'm curious as to where you had it and if there were any other toppings available.



~Sonia



No comments:

Post a Comment