Tuesday, May 31, 2016

My Top 5 Mexican Wedding Ideas




Wedding season is in full swing! Although I'm not planning a wedding, I know someone who is!! It's super fun to see what everyone is pinning on their Wedding Pinterest boards and I couldn't help to fall in love with the nostalgic images in a Mexican-themed wedding. I can spend hours on Pinterest pinning a bunch of recipes, crafts, projects and decorating ideas I may never get around to bringing to life. But it's a great way to generate ideas, see pretty things and dream.

So I curated a few of my favorite Mexican-themed wedding ideas. I love bright colors, sarapes and pinatas...but if I was planning a Mexican-themed wedding, it would be more than the typical "fiesta" we usually see at party stores. Don't get me wrong, I love a good fiesta as much as the next girl, but a wedding to me, ahem--at my age, I feel would be more on the elegant side yet still reminiscent of my roots. 


1. INVITATIONS- Before guests ever set foot in the wedding venue, they will get a feel for the type of wedding you will have by the invitation. Invitations determine the theme, mood, attire and even the wedding gift budget.

These beautiful invitations exude the very essence of an elegant evening at the "Hacienda". They remind me of the lace dresses, doilies, runners and even curtains at my grandmother's house. The memories of both of my vibrant and loving grandmothers comes immediately to mind. I lost my paternal grandmother about 15 years ago. And although my maternal grandmother, my loving "nina Chayo" still lives, her memory has long been taken by Alzheimer's. You can read about her and some of the memories we created together at her ranchito in this blog post. I know they would both love these beautiful, lace inspired invitations I found at TulleandChantilly.com



TulleandChantilly.com

If you're looking for something more indicative of a Mexican theme, these exquisite laser cut wedding love bird papel picado inspired invitations by VintageBabyDoll on Etsy will unmistakably relay the message. It's amazing the detail that can be captured by this laser cutting process. These are just gorgeous!

VintageBabyDoll on Etsy



2. DECORATIONS- What would a Mexican celebration be without papel picado? It brings back great nostalgic memories of the years we lived in Mexico City during my teenage years. And these white "AMOR" papel picado banners look beautiful and whimsy with string lights. 


But if you want a true personal touch, check out VintageBabyDoll on Etsy for custom, laser-cut papel picado. You can have your names laser cut into the design. Super cute, personal and elegant.


VintageBabyDoll on Etsy


These chairs with the beautiful rebozos wrapped around them stand out beautifully against the dark wood. Easy and simple....although could be cost prohibitive to do the entire venue in rebozo-wrapped chairs, perhaps doing only the wedding party table would be a good option. Check out this entire wedding at Una Boda Original. You can find a good selection of colorful Mexican Rebozos here.


UnaBodaOriginal.com



3. TABLE SETTING- The table setting will make the look of the entire venue. Everything from plates, glasses, napkins, and centerpieces, to the types of chairs that are used. I especially adore the look of this table setting. It is simple, yet elegant and has just a touch of color. The dainty table cover (possibly lace or crochetcomplements the invitations, and the flowers and ribbons in the bright fuchsia bring that touch of brightness that is typical in Mexican celebrations. The wrought iron candelabra, another traditional touch of Mexican. How beautiful would it be to hang crystals and flowers from those candelabras to step up the elegance? I know, right?? You can find more details on this particular wedding at Una Boda Original



UnaBodaOriginal.com


4.  CAKE- This simply elegant cake with a lace detail at the bottom of each tier is absolutely stunning. Pair it with the same flowers in the bride's bouquet and table setting centerpieces to tie it all together. You can view this entire wedding at Ruffled


RuffledBlog.com


5. DRESS- This is a tough one!! I couldn't decide on just one and I guess this is the part where brides decide to have a custom dress made with features of different dresses combined. For starters, I do love the floret ruffles on this dress, in perfect combination with the very simple, long veil. The beautiful detailed lace along the edge of the veil, sprinkled with pearls is so classy. This veil reminds me of the veil my abuelita wore on her wedding day. This wedding can be seen in it's entirety at Una Boda Original.


  

UnaBodaOriginal.com

And then there is this beautiful wedding dress. Looks like this is a wrap that can be added to a simple, long sheath dress, either spaghetti strap or strapless....then you can take it off at the party. Simple elegance...with that beautiful, unusual fuchsia bouquet and a simple flower for a headpiece...understated beauty. You can see more gorgeous details on this Fuchsia + Cognac Wedding at Green Wedding Shoes.


GreenWeddingShoes.com

And one more, this beautiful embroidered belt complementing a simple mermaid dress is the ultimate "this is a Mexican celebration, people!!" statement item. To make this uber elegant, I would have this embroidered belt embellished with crystals or sequins. Gorgeous, right? You can find more "Mexicanisimo" wedding dresses at Es La Moda

EsLaModa.com


So what do you think? Did you have or attend a Mexican themed wedding? What did you like or not like?

~Sonia

2 comments:

  1. These DIY Mexican Theme Wedding ideas are outstanding. I just love Mexican themed weddings. Even, I myself got married in Mexican style at domestic chicago wedding venues. Everyone loved my wedding arrangements.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So the next time you need flowers for a funeral company, company gifts to local customers, or you wish to send new baby flower right to the hospital, we can assist with our Miami Florida flower shipping! Business Weddings - Wedding Flowers, Coral Flowers, Calla Lily | BusinessWeddings.com

    ReplyDelete