Thursday, October 9, 2014

Cooking School Day 4: Eggs

Today's lesson was eggs. They're used in so many recipes and meals. They can be cooked for breakfast and sometimes even make dinner. They're used for baking and holding ingredients together as in meatloaf and meatballs.

My biggest takeaways is that you can separate an egg easiest when it's still cold. So if a recipe calls for separating the egg white from the yolk, but use it at room temperature in the recipe, separate them when they're cold, and then let the rest to room temperature separately.

We also learned how to crack an egg with one hand, and this is what I did for homework! I managed to do it right on the firs try. 


One of the homework options was for those of us who want to improve our skills, and it was to make a souffle. I don't think I've ever even had one of these, but I definitely want to make one just for kicks. Heck, the purpose of this challenge is to become a better cook so why not make this the first time I have a souffle. 

Happy cooking!

Sonia
 

No comments:

Post a Comment